1.) Exercise Regularly.
Women who exercise regularly...
- Gain 21% less weight
- Have shorter, easier labors (2 hours less on average)
- 24% fewer C-sections
- Experience less fetal distress
- Have a faster recovery 1
2.) Get a Chiropractic Adjustment Regularly.
- 50% of pregnant women state that they experience back pain during pregnancy. Because you are not supposed to take most pain killers while pregnant, chiropractic is a great alternative. In fact, 75% of pregnant women stated that they got relief from their pain. 2-4
- According to the National Institute of Health, first time mothers who received regular chiropractic care experienced 25% shorter labor times. Mothers who already had children experience up to 31% shorter labor times. 5-6
- It's fast. On average it takes 1.8 visits to obtain substantial relief. 7
- It's safe. In all the studies reported by the National Institute of Health, there were no adverse effects of treatment reported. 7
3.) Get a Massage.
Massage during pregnancy can...
- Reduce or eliminate headaches
- Encourage relaxation
- Reduce stress
- Reduce sciatic pain 8
And 61.4% of OB/GYN's, nurse mid-wives and nurse educators recommend pre-natal massages to their patients. 9
1. Anderson C. Exercise and pregnancy. ICA Int Rev Chiropr. 2004:53–61.
2. Phillips C.J., Meyer J.J. Chiropractic care, including craniosacral therapy, during pregnancy: a static-group comparison of obstetric interventions during labor and delivery. J Manipulative Physiol Ther.1995;18(8):525–529. [PubMed]
3. Diakow P.R.P., Gadsby T.A., Gadsby J.B., Gleddie J.G., Leprich D.J., Scales A.M. Back pain during pregnancy and labor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991;14(2):116–118. [PubMed]
4. Berg G., Hammer M., Moller-Nielsen J., Linden U., Thorblad J. Low back pain in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 1988;71:71–75. [PubMed]
5. J.M. Fallon. Textbook on chiropractic & pregnancy. Arlington, VA: International Chiropractic Association; 1994: 52, 109.
6. Fallon J.M. Chiropractic and pregnancy: a partnership for the future. ICA Int Rev Chiropr.1990;46(6):39–42.
7. Lisi A.J. Chiropractic spinal manipulation for low back pain of pregnancy: a retrospective case series. J Midwifery Women's Health. 2006;51(1):e7–e10. [PubMed]
8. Massage During Pregnancy. By Bette Waters. RTP, 1995.
9. Wang S.M., DeZinno P., Fermo L. Complementary and alternative medicine for low-back pain in pregnancy: a cross-sectional survey. J Altern Complement Med. 2005;11(3):459–464. [PubMed]